Chicken Sang Choy Bow
1 iceberg lettuce
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 green onions (shallots), finely sliced
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
500g chicken mince
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
230g can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (or use chilli flakes)
1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- Carefully peel eight lettuce leaves, trying not to tear them. Trim them with scissors if necessary to make large cups. Place in a bowl of iced water to make them nice and crisp.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan on high heat. Stir-fry green onion and ginger for a couple of minutes.
- Add chicken mince and cook for about 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add hoisin, soy sauce, sesame oil, water chestnuts and chilli, and continue to stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer immediately to a serving bowl and stir through the coriander.
- Arrange the lettice cups on a platter. Spoon a little chicken mixture into each leaf and serve.