If you've got a busy week coming up, this can be made ahead of time up to Step 8 and frozen. Add the mozzarella after thawing and bake for easy weeknight deliciousness.
Adapted from Good Taste
1 tbs olive oil
1 large brown onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 short-cut bacon rashers, coarsely chopped
200g button or baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 cup white wine
400g can diced tomatoes, partly drained of juice
1 tsp dried Italian herbs
salt and freshly cracked pepper
120g baby spinach leaves
500g pkt shelf-fresh gnocchi
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (optional)
200g fresh mozzarella or bocconcini, drained, torn in half
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add bacon and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until bacon is lightly golden.
- Add mushroom and cook for 3-4 minutes or until mushroom is soft.
- Add the wine. Cook, scraping any bits from the base of the pan, for 3-4 minutes or until wine reduces by half.
- Stir in the tomato and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F). Cook the gnocchi in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions.
- While the gnocchi is cooking, stir the spinach into the tomato mixture until it just wilts.
- When the gnocchi is ready, drain and then add to tomato mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour into one medium-sized casserole dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and top with the mozzarella. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese melts and becomes golden brown.