Flourless Orange Cake
2 whole oranges with peel
1 1/4 cups white sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups almond meal
For the syrup:
1 whole orange
3/4 cup white sugar
- Place the oranges in a large saucepan, and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and boil for 1-2 hours over medium heat. Check occasionally to make sure they do not boil dry. Allow the oranges to cool, then cut them open and remove the seeds. Process in a blender or food processor to a coarse pulp.
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease and flour a 22cm springform cake tin.
- In a large bowl, whip eggs and sugar together using an electric mixer until thick and pale (5-10 minutes). Mix in baking powder. Stir in the pureed oranges. Gently fold in almond meal, then pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake on top shelf of oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. (Tip: It’s really important to put it on the top shelf. I mistakenly put it on the bottom shelf the second time I made this and it was almost burnt on top!) Set aside to cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- To make the syrup, use a zester to remove the rind from the orange. Juice orange.
- Place rind in a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Drain. Return to pan with orange juice and sugar. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the syrup thickens.
- Turn cake onto a serving plate. Use a skewer to gently prick the top. Spoon over syrup. Cut into wedges and serve with double cream.