Monday, July 25, 2011

Zucchini Season!

It is zucchini (courgette) season here in the US and my friend, Cathy, gave me the biggest zucchinis I have ever seen. I was thrilled to receive some home grown veges and absolutely amazed at the size of them. They were three times the size of a normal zucchini and 14 inches long!


So for the last couple of weeks I've been looking for interesting zucchini recipes in an attempt to use up this mountain of vegetable. Typically I use zucchini grated into omelettes, sliced in stir fries or chunks in Thai curries, but this adventure opened up a whole world of possibilities for the humble gourd. Low in calories and rich in vitamins and minerals, I discovered that zucchinis, while being terribly undervalued in the kitchen, have so much potential. Did you know that you can even use zucchini to make cookies? Who knew?! For the next week or so, I will be posting different ways to use zucchini - sweet and savoury, baked, fried and grilled. What are some ways that you like to use zucchini?

No comments:

Post a Comment