I love to make soup, especially in the winter. There are few things more comforting than wrapping your hands around a steaming bowl of hearty soup. If you aren't usually keen on vegetable soups, give this one a go - it is loaded with flavour and the potato makes it smooth and satisfying.
Curried Zucchini Soup
From Martha Stewart
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp curry powder
3 medium zucchinis (about 700g/1.5lb), sliced 1 inch thick
1 baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and 1 tablespoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and curry powder; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add zucchini, potato, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In batches, puree soup in a blender (do not fill more than halfway or you may have a zucchini-coated kitchen) until smooth.
- Serve immediately, or let cool, and refrigerate in an airtight container until chilled. Garnish with toasted almonds.