Saturday, July 30, 2011

Zucchini Season #4: Curried Zucchini Soup

I'm excited to post today's zucchini recipe because it is a recipe you can enjoy whether it is chilly outside (all you folk Down Under) or sweltering (like here in the US). This seriously tasty soup can be served hot or chilled, depending on your taste and the seasons. However you serve it, make sure you garnish it with toasted almonds as it takes the soup from tasty to YUM! Until I found this recipe I never would have thought to sprinkle nuts on soup, but take my word for it - it works.


I love to make soup, especially in the winter. There are few things more comforting than wrapping your hands around a steaming bowl of hearty soup. If you aren't usually keen on vegetable soups, give this one a go - it is loaded with flavour and the potato makes it smooth and satisfying.

Curried Zucchini Soup
From Martha Stewart

1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
Coarse salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp curry powder
3 medium zucchinis (about 700g/1.5lb), sliced 1 inch thick
1 baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted, for garnish
  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and 1 tablespoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
  2. Add garlic and curry powder; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  3. Add zucchini, potato, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
  4. In batches, puree soup in a blender (do not fill more than halfway or you may have a zucchini-coated kitchen) until smooth.
  5. Serve immediately, or let cool, and refrigerate in an airtight container until chilled. Garnish with toasted almonds.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a follower! I think I am clearly lacking your photography skills to boost my blog :)! I love zucchini month! How do I check how many people have visited the blog Lu? :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm Soup........
    I'm thinking Chenin Blanc with its crisp accidity and soft mid palette would be lovely, the acidity would cut through the rich curry while not overpowering the subtleness of the zucchini. Amberly Chenin Blanc $14.99 @ Liquorland

    ReplyDelete