Potato Salad with Pancetta, Lemon and Rosemary
Via Bon Appetit
5 slices pancetta (Italian bacon)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
2 tsp finely grated lemon peel
1 garlic clove, pressed
2/3 cup mayonnaise (we used an olive oil based one)
1.3kg (3lbs) Yukon Gold potatoes
3 large celery stalks, thinly sliced
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Arrange pancetta slices on a baking sheet, spacing apart. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes (do not turn). Drain on paper towels. Allow to cool before coarsely chopping pancetta.
- While the pancetta is baking, whisk lemon juice, rosemary, lemon peel, and garlic in small bowl. Gradually whisk in mayonnaise. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes in a large pot. Add enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium. Simmer with the lid ajar until potatoes are tender, 18 to 25 minutes, depending on size of potatoes. Drain and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the skin from the potatoes, if desired, and then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Place the potato in a large bowl and add the chopped celery. Drizzle dressing over and toss gently to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until cold, at least 2 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle the potato salad with pancetta and chopped parsley.
This can be made a day ahead up to Step 5 and refrigerated until needed. Store the pancetta in the fridge, but bring it to room temperature before sprinkling over the salad.
VARIATION: If you prefer a non-creamy potato salad, replace the mayonnaise with olive oil.