I loved these cookies for both the taste and the texture. The pairing of zucchini with lemon zest brings a fresh and light flavour that most cookies lack, and they are airy and cake-like in their texture - so you can have a cookie and a slice of cake in one! Just the thing you need to go with a cup of steaming Earl Grey tea :-)
Zucchini and Lemon Cookies
Adapted from Food52
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch coarse salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cups sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp fresh lemon zest
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 tspn vanilla
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F). Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric beaters until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, lemon zest, zucchini and vanilla. Mix with a spoon until just incorporated (don't overmix or they will come out rubbery).
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until all of the flour has been added and is completely mixed in. Again, be careful not to overmix.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls onto a prepared cookie sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes, or until edges of cookies are golden.